Pizza recipe – Learn how to make pizza at home like a professional with simple step by step guide. This post will help you to make the best pizza that I am sure your family will love. This pizza has a crisp, light & fluffy base with no flavor of yeast. The sauce is amazingly delicious & tasty. So this post covers everything from scratch – how to make pizza dough, pizza recipe, making the sauce and assembling the entire pizza.
Making pizza at home is much easier than cooking a special Indian meal.
particularly when I started to make veg pizza at home I had tried using whole wheat flour several times. Since the results were compromising I later tried & got attached to white whole wheat flour pizza and loved it.
Since then I never looked back for any other source. since we got used to the taste of white wheat, though it’s not exactly the same we get in any good pizzeria.
I got several readers’ requests for a good veg pizza recipe using all-purpose flour or maida. So later whenever I made pizza for my family, I started to use unbleached organic all-purpose flour…
For the best pizza sauce, I had already reached at the best after making pizza for several years.
All the tips about how to make pizza at home in this post are my own that comes from my own experience.
Health tip: Do not use regular maida to make pizza, it is quite unhealthy. Regular maida is chemically bleached and has lots of adverse effects on our health.
If you do not find natural or unbleached flour, just make the pizza with very pure quality atta and make a thin crust pizza. It turns out very good that way too.
Amazing Pizza Recipe You Should Make In 2020
2. Let the dough rise very well: Allow the dough to rise until it doubles rather than allowing it to rise for a little period of time. The time taken for the dough to double may depend on the temperature or place you live.
So sometimes time may not be the right factor, instead, wait until the dough is doubled in size.
3. Bake the base: If you are roasting a thick pizza base in a small oven, then it is good to roast the pizza base first for 5 to 7 mins and then smudge the sauce and top it with veggies & cheese. Then roast it to finish off.
Most of the time a thick pizza base doesn’t get cooked well in smaller ovens while the cheese gets browned.
Pizzas served in pizzerias are made in very large ovens which are very hot & mostly baked on pizza stones hence there the base gets cooked well.
Using this pizza recipe you can make a thin crust pizza, medium or thick crust pizza to suit your taste. When I made it for the blog post I made one 9 inches thin pizza and also 2 thick 6 inch pizzas.
few other recipes you must try at home
- Four amazing Maggi recipes you must try | Digital zaq
- Tasty Chowmein Noodles recipe you must try
- 7 instant Maggi recipes
- Egg Maggi recipe | how to make egg Maggi
- Maggie recipe in Hindi | Maggi noodles recipe | Maggi Banane ki recipe in Hindi
- Vegetable Maggi recipe in Hindi | Best Maggi recipe in Hindi
How to make pizza recipe at home
PIZZA RECIPE – HOW TO MAKE PIZZA
Veg pizza recipe – Learn how to make pizza at home with this brief step by step post. This pizza recipe will help you to make the best-tasting pizza at home along with homemade pizza sauce.
INGREDIENTS (1 CUP = 240ML )
For pizza dough
- 2 cups maida or organic plain flour or all-purpose flour (or 1 cup maida & 1 cup atta)
- ½ tablespoon active dry yeast
- ½ cup water +1 tablespoon. (use as needed)
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil (replace with any oil)
- ¼ to ½ tablespoon salt (use as needed)
- ¾ tablespoon organic sugar
For pizza sauce
- 400 grams tomatoes fine chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced or chopped
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs or ½ to ¾ tablespoon oregano
- Salt as needed
- ½ tablespoon pepper coarse crushed or powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon oil (preferably olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
For pizza toppings
- 200 grams Mozzarella cheese or as needed.
- 1 ½ cups Mix vegetables sliced or cubed (capsicum, onions, olives, tomatoes, mushrooms)
- ¼ to ½ tablespoon Italian herbs mixed or oregano.
- ¼ tablespoon red chili flakes (optional)
HOW TO MAKE THE PIZZA RECIPE
Making pizza dough
- Put lukewarm water into a mixing bowl.
- Put your finger and Make sure the water is warm and not too hot.
- Hot water kills the yeast so avoid it.
- Add yeast & sugar to lukewarm water and stir it.
- Set aside for 10 to 15 mins and allow to proof.
- After 15 mins the yeast should activate and turn bubbly or frothy.
- If the water doesn’t turn frothy by then, the yeast is inactive and cannot be used for the dough.
- In this case discard and start afresh with lukewarm water, sugar, and yeast.
- When the water turns frothy, add flour, salt, and oil.
- Next, mix and make a dough adding more water if needed.
- Knead the dough very well until very soft and pliable for about 5 to 7 mins.
- The dough must be soft & elastic.
- When you press the pizza dough with your finger, it must bounce back.
- Apply a thin layer of oil to the bowl and the dough as well. Keep covered with a greased plate.
- Move this pizza to a warm place in your kitchen.
- Allow the dough to immerse and double in size. It may take anywhere from 1½ to 3 hours depending on the weather conditions.
Preparing pizza sauce
- Meanwhile prepare the tomato pizza sauce.
- To make sauce, heat oil in a pan and saute garlic until it smells good.
- Then add red chili flakes with onions, if using Saute until they turn slightly golden.
- Add tomatoes, salt, and sugar. Mix and continue to cook covering partially as it splatters a lot.
- Cook until the sauce thickens. Add herbs and crushed pepper.
- Mix and taste the sauce.
- If needed add more salt, herbs and chili flakes to suit your taste. Set this aside to cool.
- Now rinse and cube the veggies. Separate the layers of onions.
How to make pizza
- Preheat the oven to 240 C for at least 20 to 25 mins.
- Transfer the dough to the work area.
- Punch the dough once to deflate it. Cut to 2 to 3 portions.
- Gently shape it to a ball.
- Sprinkle some cornmeal over the pizza tray.
- Place the pizza dough over the tray and flatten it slightly.
- Add a few drops of oil and begin to flatten it. Spread to a round disc of desired thickness.
- If making a thick base & you own a small oven, then put the base in the oven and bake it for 5 to 7 mins.
- If making a medium to thin crust pizza then just go ahead with the next steps.
- Spread the pizza sauce as desired. Layer the veggies and then grated cheese.
- Lastly, sprinkle Italian herbs and red chili flakes.
- Cook for ten to twelve minutes until the base cheese turns slightly golden.
- Slice and serve pizza hot or warm.
Video of veg pizza recipe
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Calories: 567kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 488mg | Potassium: 569mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 4165IU | Vitamin C: 16.7mg | Calcium: 316mg | Iron: 5.1mg
Recipe notes for Cheese pizza recipe: If you are a vegetarian, choose mozzarella cheese made without animal rennet. I guess most cheese made in India are made without animal rennet. You can also look for pizza cheese.
Please tune the sum of spice in the sauce to suit your taste.
If you are a beginner to Indian cooking, I suggest you check the step by step photos for best pizza results. This Step by step photos is with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make pizza dough at home
1. Pour lukewarm water to a warm bowl. If you live in a very cold place, just warm up your bowl for proofing yeast. Firstly make sure the water is just warm.
An absolute temperature of the water is 40 to 43 C. Just sink your finger in the water to check if it is warm. Hot water will kill the yeast and cannot be used further.
2. Add yeast to the warm water
3. Sprinkle sugar as well.
4. Stir it gently. Allow this to rest undisturbed for 10 to 12 mins. The mixture must turn frothy and bubbly. If you fail to get a frothy mixture, do not proceed further with this yeast. It is inactive. So just discard this.
Start again with fresh warm water, yeast, and sugar. Repeat the steps from 1 to 4.
5. When the yeast turns frothy, add flour. Here I have used organic unbleached all-purpose flour. If you do not get a natural one, just replace it with whole wheat flour.
Make a thin pizza. It will turn out good. You can also make use of half whole wheat flour and half maida.
6. Next, add olive oil and salt.
7. Mix to make the dough. If needed add more water and knead the dough for 5 to 6 mins. The dough must turn very soft and elastic. When you poke your finger softly the dough must bounce back.
This will happen only if you use all-purpose flour. For atta, you will have to knead for longer about 9 mins.
8. Make a ball and next apply a thin layer of oil to prevent the dough from drying up.
Resting pizza dough
9. Cover with a moist cloth. Ease in a warm place until the dough doubles in size. If your oven has a set of rising the dough then you can use that.
Depending on the temperature, the dough may take anywhere from 1 to 2 hours. But still, I advise not to go by timings but to double it in size.
10. For now, make pizza sauce watching the video mentioned above or from the recipe card. Then keep the veggies ready. Grind the cheese.
11. The dough has doubled in just 45 mins for me. I made 1 pizza that day and had refrigerated the rest for the next day. Just wrapped it in a cling wrap and put it in the fridge.
The flavor of the yeast dough gets much better as it ages in the fridge. This keeps good for 2 days. If refrigerating, then allow it to come down to room temperature before using it. I allowed resting for 90 mins.
When you see the dough is ready, preheat the oven to 220 to 240 C for at least 20 to 25 mins. If you’ve got a pizza stone, then heat that in the oven as well.
12. Next, transfer the dough to the work area and punch it down to deflate. Do check the video above to know the exact process on how to do the further steps. Divide the dough into two to three parts depending on the size you want. I made one 9 inches thin crust and then two 6 inch thick pizzas.
How to make pizza at home – thin crust pizza base Sprinkle some cornmeal evenly on a tray. Flatten a ball and add few drops of oil. Begin to spread and stretch the dough. Flatten to a 9 inch thin even base
13. Next spread pizza sauce as desired. For the pizza sauce do follow the recipe card or the video mentioned.
14. Lastly, layer cheese. Then the veggies of your choice. We prefer bell peppers, onions, and olives. You can also use cauliflowers, mushrooms and firm ripe deseeded tomatoes. Sprinkle Italian herbs and chili flakes if you desire.
15. Bake it for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese turns golden.
Slice and serve.
Making thick pizza base
I have also made two 6 inch thick personal pizzas. If you are making thick pizza base then, I extend the dough & bake it for 5 – 7 mins first. Then smear the sauce and layer the toppings.
Bake this for about 8 to 10 mins. If your cheese doesn’t look golden, you can move that pizza to the top rack and bake for another 2 to 3 mins.